Are you a summer hill walker / mountaineer looking to gain skills and confidence for venturing out into winter walking / mountaineering or have limited experience in the winter but looking at improving or refreshing skills, knowledge and techniques to enjoy the mountains in winter conditions?
These courses are held in Cairn Gorm, Scotland. They’re run by trained mountain leaders with extensive experience climbing, mountaineering and instructing in the UK and abroad.
Topics Covered –
- Ice axes and crampons – their type and use, choosing the right one.
- Movement – using axes and crampons and learning the different techniques including ice axe arrest.
- Navigation – map and compass work.
- Emergency shelters / snow holing.
- Avalanches – types and learning how to make safe assessments in order to minimise risk.
- Understanding and interpreting the weather.
- Planning trips / mountain days.
We will then consolidate all these skills on the third day covering a mix of terrain.
There are several sessions available and will run subject to suitable conditions. Advance warning will be given should a change of location be necessary.
£200 (excluding accommodation)
Dates available –
20th – 22nd Jan & 3rd – 5th March 2017
If you are genuinely interested and would like further information, please contact us via moc.t1611172292immus16111722922erip1611172292sa@tc1611172292atnoc1611172292. Places are limited and we do require a minimum number of attendants for a course to run.